Saturday, November 26, 2011

Can't Help Lovin' dat Man

He's not "scurred"!!!


This weekend (well, Thursday through Sunday) was full.  It was not just our bellies that experienced a filling, but our beings.  We were thankful.  We celebrated.  We had birthday parties and went to Disneyland.


One of the birthday's happened to be Fly's.  He turned 30.  (Yes, I am older, but only by 18 days; these are the longest 18 days of my life!)


In honor of his big 3-0 here are 30 reasons why I love my Fly and am so blessed to do life with him:



1.  He humors my love for musicals and by default has learned the songs to most of my favorites.
2.  He washes my car every Saturday and cleans out the inside...this sometimes pains him but he still does it.  (The inside of my car can often resemble the closet of a messy teenager.)
3.  He's the most loyal man I know.
4.  He looks good in every picture:)...he's so photogenic.
5.  Being an uncle changed him for good...being a dad made him that much better.  His nieces and his kids have no doubt in their minds that Uncle or Daddy love them and will go to the end of the world for each of them.
6.  He sees right through fake concern.  His a pretty discerning guy.
7.  He can make our babies fall asleep in seconds in his arms.
8.  He is full of adventure.  Ask him about how he illegally rode a turtle in Maui and sought out the hammerheads...not a good idea if you ask me...but adventurous just the same.
9.  He's not just adventurous.  He is brave.  I am never afraid when he is with me.
10.  He sings silly songs.  He changes all the lyrics to different songs to be silly...and sometimes slightly inapporpriate.
11.  He surprises me because he knows I love surprises.
12.  He is a planner.
13.  He is a saver.
14.  He hugs me and his kids.
15.  He tells each of us he loves us...often.
16.  He doesn't care what people think about him...he always does what he thinks is right.
17.  He does dishes and laundry without complaint or a second thought.
18.  He loves music.  Music speaks to him.  I'm pretty sure that's how God gets his attention:).
19.  He loves gummy bears...and has passed his love for them to The Bug.
20.  I love how I fit right under his head.  He is a whole foot taller than me so my head hits his chest.  It's my favorite place.
21.  He knows when I need a Starbucks.
22.  He is my pillar of strength. 
23.  He loves God and is an example of God's love to me and our kids.
24.  He's selfless.  When there are five coconut crusted shrimp he always lets me have three and he eats two.  In all the time that I have know him he has never eaten the third one.  I have tried everything.  He will even let me throw it away because he knows I really want it and I won't just let it go to waste!
25.  He doesn't watch scary shows and movies when I am around because he knows I don't like them.
26.  He reads my blog...every entry.
27.  He supports me and my dreams for our future, even the unconventional ones.
28.  He makes me laugh.  He makes me laugh all the time.
29.  He sees us as teammates; we are in this game together.
30.  He doesn't pretend to be perfect...instead he practices grace.  For that, I am most thankful.

Silly Daddy

The nieces and the Bug



It's a good list.  However, there are days when I forget these things and my heart becomes embittered with him.  I am not proud of those days.  But, if you ask any married couple, it's a part of the journey.  On those days I try to remember that my daddy always told me not to go to bed angry with someone.  So, I often try to forgive before we fall asleep.  I touch my toes to his to signal the I'm sorry's and I forgive you's.  And, if we've had enough time that's all it takes.  We choose grace; we choose it for ourselves and each other.  If God's mercies are new every morning who are we to hold a grudge.  That's our secret...that's why we still like each other.




The 30 year olds

So selfless, that for his birthday he got me my new wedding ring.  (A bad guy stole my original...if you don't know the story you can read it here The Glad Game)  It was a stunning surprise.


My prayer is that 30 years from now it is as easy to come up with 60 reasons why I love this man as it was to come up with 30.  I pray that there will be at least another 30 years of silly songs, coconut shrimp and toe touching.


I love you Fly.  Happy Birthday.





1 comment:

  1. You did catch a good one... all of us did. Praise God!

    Happy Birthday Tim!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis